Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Nostalgic Tag

We've got another, AB-SO-LUTELY gorgeous Vivian Keh design and post for you today! Here she is :)

Hi there, Hampton Art fans! I'm so excited to visit with you here on the blog and share how I put together this nostalgic, warm, softly textured tag!

vintagechildstag1

Nostalgic Tag Supplies:

Stamps

ABC Primer Stamp set - Hampton Art/Graphic 45 licensed design IC0124

Ink

Chesnut Pigment Ink

Rich Cocoa Dye Ink

Tea Dye Ink

Fine Clear Embossing Powder

Smooch Spritz Vanilla Shimmer

Tools

Paper Trimmer

Flower - 3D Bigz Die by Sizzix

Tag & Bookplate Die by Sizzix

Scoreboard & Bone folder

Leaf Punch

Moroccan Edger Punch EK Success

Embellishments

Metal Button

Pearls

Cream Satin Ribbon

Ecru Floss

Adhesives

Scotch ATG

Tombow Mono Multi Glue

Dimensionals

Glue Dots

Photo Tutorial:

vintagechildstagd1

You'd think I had thrown some soft Betty Davis lighting effects in there!  But I swear, I didn't.  What please me the most about this project was that given the right products, manifesting the soft, romantic nostalgia that I had envisioned became a piece of cake!  Here's the stepped out tutorial!

vct_01

Isn't this stamp beautiful?  A child discovering the wonders of reading - just precious! This stamp is one of the 8 cling mounted stamps that are included in the ABC Primer 2 Stamp Set by Hampton Art and Graphic 45.  Using dye ink, I stamped my focal image, cut out the frame, and distressed the edges.

vct_02a

Using and edger punch, I cut this decorative strip and distressed that as well.

vct_03

For the base of my tag, I used a tag die on a piece of strong, cream cardstock.  I diecut a darker colored strip to cover the top portion and trimmed a rectangle to cover the lower portion.  Then I adhered both pieces to the tag base.

vct_04

This is the Provence Petal Point Pad from Colorbox/Clearsnap.  It contains a deep Chestnut Brown that will probably become a new favorite for me.  Using that color, I stamped these numbers ont he decorative strip and heat embossed with clear fine embossing powder.

vct_06

Before adhering the strip, I scored down the length and lightly folded along the score line - this easy step adds dimension and interesting shadows!

vct_07

I tied some creamy satin ribbon around the tag, right at the level where I planned to put the focal image.  This added a bit of sheen in addition to the gloss of the embossed numbers.

vct_08

I popped the focal image on dimensionals a nestled it up against the bow.

vct_09

This is how the tag looks so far - a range of tones from light to dark, a variety of textures, and a few shiny accents.

On to the custom bloom.  I saw a beautifully textured bloom gracing a card that recently won a Moxie Fab challenge.  I visited the blog of it's creator, Laura Bassen, to find out how to make it, then shabbified it a bit to suit my tastes.  So I drew and cut a bunch of irregular kidney bean shapes - these irregularities make the bloom interesting.

vct_11

Before proceeding, I made sure to erase my pencil markings that were left.  Then I scored lines on each petal, radiating out from the center as shown below.

vct_11b

So I had sewn darts in clothing before, but this is the first time I created darts with paper - that was neat and I'm going to see how I can incorporate this little trip to add dimension to other projects and non-floral embellishments in the future!  For the paper dart, I cut slits half-way through the kidney bean shapes.

vct_11c

Then I laid down a tiny strip of glue next to the incision, adhered one side over the other, held it closed with a tiny clothespin and left it to dry.  Now they look like little fish!

vct_12

Once these dried, I used my beloved bone folder to curl the edges.

vct_13

Then I spritzed with my new Smooch Spritz!

vct_13b

Isn't that fine shimmer glorious? This was one of the products in my goody box from Hampton Art partner, Clearsnap.  Exactly the amount of shine I want and LURVE!  Plus, it comes in this glass vial that's wonderful to handle!

vct_19

I assembled the bloom using glue dots.  Hot glue would work, too.  And then I topped it off with a beautiful button.

vct_15

Bloom done, now onto my tightly rolled flowers.  I diecut a few of these, rolled them as shown, keeping them tighter at the base, finally sealing the deal with some hot glue at the base.

vct_16

I used a leaf punch to create a few simple leaves, curled them with my bone folder, and inserted them under the flower petals in such a way to draw the eye around the tag.

vintagechildstagh1

Add some pearls bling on the bottom, and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment